70 Kingston Road Leatherhead Surrey.
Surrey Sound Studios started
in 1975 as a four track by brothers Chris and Nigel Gray and
was built in a converted Cooperative hall with a budget of £1200 .
In 1976 with a loan of £8000 ( although Nigel was working as a doctor at the time) they decided to invest in an upgrade to 16 track. They bought a 16 track Alice desk and and Ampex MM1000 16 track tape machine. The first session as 16 track was the band 'String Driven Thing'. The big break for the studio came in the form of Miles Copeland who started bringing in the artists that he was managing at the time and this included Squeeze, Chelsea and The Police. The first proper album project, to be recorded for release at the studios began in Jan 1978 with 'Outlandos d'Amour' by the Police, recorded with the Alice desk.
The studio upgraded
to 24 track in 1978 and installed an MCI JH-400B desk with
an MCI 24 track machine. In February 1979 Regatta de Blanc,the
second Police album was recorded on this set up.
In 1983 the
studio was refurbished again and a Harrison MR4 installed with
Otari MTR 90 tape machine.
sold the studio in 1987 and retired to Cornwall.